New Miami, 1885–1941

Embracing Professionalism
1885 ~ Miami reopens; Robert White McFarland (1885–88) assumes the presidency
1886 ~ Oxford Female College confers baccalaureate degrees
1887 ~ Five women admitted as “special students” by trustee resolution of June 21
1888 ~ Ethelbert Dudley Warfield (1888–91) assumes the presidency
First football game played, against University of Cincinnati
1891 ~ William Oxley Thompson (1891–99) assumes the presidency
Miami admits seventeen women students
1892 ~ Brice Hall, first donated building, constructed for science instruction; Calvin Brice, donor ~ Alumnae Hall built at Western College, James Renwick Jr., architect; Olivia Meily (Mrs. Calvin) Brice, donor
1895 ~ Miami builds a baseball field
Western College and Seminary confers baccalaureate degrees
1896 ~ Miami Field constructed for football
Sleeper Bill provides first regular annual appropriation from State of Ohio
1897 ~ Herron Gymnasium (later Van Voorhis Hall) constructed
1899 ~ David Stanton Tappan (1899–1902) assumes the presidency
1900 ~ Three of sixteen women at Miami awarded bachelor’s degrees
1902 ~ The Ohio State Normal College established in Oxford
Guy Potter Benton (1902–11) assumes the presidency
Delta Zeta, a fraternal organization for women, founded
1903 ~ Nellie Craig, first African American woman, enrolls; earns Normal College diploma in 1905
1905 ~ Hepburn Hall constructed as first residence hall for women
1908 ~ New Administration/Auditorium Building (later Benton Hall, Hall Auditorium) constructed
1909 ~ First Alumni Campaign matches a Carnegie Award to build Alumni Library
South Pavilion, Normal College (later McGuffey Hall), constructed
1910 ~ Earl Kelley, first identified male African American enrolled (1902), earns Normal College diploma
1911 ~ Raymond Mollyneaux Hughes (1911–27) assumes the presidency
1912 ~ Bishop Hall constructed as residence for women
1917 ~ United States enters World War I
1919 ~ Miami “No-Horse Rule” replaced by “No-Car Rule”
1923 ~ Wells Hall constructed as residence for women
1924 ~ University Hospital (later MacMillan Hall) constructed
Ogden Hall constructed as residence for men, and student center
New Freshman Dormitory (later Swing Hall) constructed as residence for men
1925 ~ Oxford Retreat main building (former Oxford Female College) purchased, renamed Fisher Hall
Irvin Hall, first fully neo-Georgian classroom building, constructed as recitation building
1928 ~ Alfred Horatio Upham (1928–45) assumes the presidency
School of Business Administration (later Farmer School of Business) founded, located in Irvin Hall
Oxford College for Women acquired; main building renovated for women’s residence
1929 ~ School of Fine Arts founded
1931 ~ Center section, Hughes Hall (later Kreger Hall), constructed for chemistry
Withrow Court constructed for men’s athletics and physical education, and assembly hall
1937 ~ North and South dormitories renovated in neo-Georgian style, named Elliott Hall and Stoddard Hall
1939 ~ New Freshman Dormitory Number One (later Symmes Hall) constructed for men
1940 ~ North Residence Hall (later Hamilton Hall) constructed as residence for women
1941 ~ South Hall (later Richard Hall) constructed as residence for women
Beta Theta Pi Campanile constructed